1.Google Maps cannot actually read the addresses properly in STT. Mainly because most of them don't really exist. There are street names but no one seems to use them. And there are many streets without names. I went looking for the department of education today to sign Luna up for homeschool. I did a google map and used that. Of course like all the other times I have used google maps for the island they got it wrong. It was two streets over. I found it mainly because I couldn't figure out how to get up the hill where the directions said to go:)
2. When driving in STT remember to stay alert. And that driving while angry or thinking of other things, other than driving, can be dangerous to your health and others. Basically due to the fact that we drive on the left but are used to the right. One day the driver was terribly distressed and angry at the front seat passenger. Not only did the driver somehow get back on the right lane, the driver turned right from the right lane during rush hour traffic. Again keep in mind anger while driving may create a dangerous activity.
3. When an ambulance comes up from behind with its lights on it is not appropriate to pull to the right. And thank goodness they have speakers. All three cars behind me followed me to pull over to the right. It turns out when driving on the left you pull over to the left so that police and other emergency vehicles may pass. I appreciate that the ambulance chose to tell me instead of going around me on the left. But I worry about the person waiting for the ambulance while it took the time to do so.
4. In the downtown area people park on sidewalks and in front of signs that say "no parking, towing enforced." Yet finding parking in the downtown area is close to impossible. Here is why. There are some sidewalks that you can park on but others are not allowed. There are some towing signs you can park in front of but others are not allowed. Driving around for a half hour trying to make sense of this doesn't really help the situation at all. But in this case we parked in front of the library, checked out books, ran into a friend and made plans with them to try the dept. of education together, tomorrow. Things do seem to work out fine.
5. On the positive side of this. I heard through the grapevine that if you get a ticket don't pay it. When you go to get your car tags each year you can pay then. Here is why. A lot of the time the tickets are never turned in. So you may not actually owe anything. Which leads me to feel ok with the parking problems. As it will all balance out later when your parking ticket doesn't show up:)
I am truly enjoying all of these various aspects of the island. It is just these eccentricities of a place that make it interesting.
Hi, Shana! How nice that you like these different aspects of Island culture. When you first said you were moving, I looked up "moving to the USVI" and got several messageboards with posts from people who complained so much about living there. Most of the issues were ones like you just pointed out.
ReplyDeleteStella
Hey, Stella!!! how are you? I actually didn't read many of the message boards unless they pertained to food costs or education for kids. Other things that may bother some is the honking for no reason and people stopping to chat to each other. But on the bright side people always stop to let us cross the street when walking or to let us in, in traffic when we are driving. It is a really courteous place with great manners as part of the culture. Thanks for commenting, Stella. I appreciate it.
ReplyDelete