Sunday, September 12, 2010

Another STT update for those asking:), September 9, 2010


Well we don't have too much going on. And some of you have been updated

recently as my cell phone now works. It is still hard to make calls with so

little personal space but I am working on it.


First and foremost Steven has posted lots of pictures on the blog. Be aware

that what he calls sugar wrappers was a misunderstanding of the local

dialect. They are actually sugar apples. And are like ice cream as they just

melt like sugary goodness in your mouth.


www.lunacita.blogspot.com


I had my first math class last night. I am preparing to hopefully teach the

class next semester. It is a mathskills class. The program is headed by one

of the best in his field. And fortunately I know him personally so it

shouldn't be too hard to get accepted for the job:) It is really fun

reviewing all of the math and getting to have conversations about the

curriculum with Steven. Maybe I will get a masters degree in math education

one of these days. It is free for me to go to school here.


Power is still out in parts of the island due to the hurricane. But the

local electric company, WAPA, seems to be out in typical #s and pace getting

things back in order. I think the whole government and such is on island

time. Which seems to work for me so far. I kind of like the slow pace

especially when driving on the left up and down mountains.


Which I thought you would want to know we bought a car. A 2006 ford focus.

The newest car I have owned since I was 16 and probably the nicest. We got a

great deal on a very reliable car. I never thought I would buy an american

made car but it works for the island. The only down side is it doesn't run

on salt water:)


It is still really hot here and the humidity is so high that by 10am in the

morning it already feels like it is over 90 degrees. We are headed to the

beach this afternoon for a swim before dinner and after naps. It is located

at emerald beach resort near the airport so about five minutes drive down

the road. It is a beautiful beach and after the hurricane we are hoping it

still is.


I have found a weekly play group with at least one child for luna to play

with. And another family with a couple of kids in luna's age range to play

with on Monday. There is also another family out of town who has children

around Luna's age as well. And so far I like the parents. Which is a good

thing.


I still get homesick for austin every once in a while. But that is more for

the people than the actual place. Fortunately though things are coming

together well for us here so life isn't as hard as expected. It is

surprisingly much easier than I thought.


If you have time to send an email back with your own update I would love to

hear from you. Or give me a call my cell phone still works.


Take care and much love to you all.


Shana



No comments:

Post a Comment