Sunday, September 12, 2010

another update from August 21, 2010


Hello everyone,


We have finally picked up our stuff from shipping. That was a lot of work but the guys who work at Tropical were amazingly helpful. Steven had to work. Luna was sick so a friend stayed with her and sol. I drove five times to and from the loading dock to our apt with stuff. I started at 8am and finished by 5pm.


We then spent the evening and this morning unpacking what we could fit and needed in our one bedroom apartment. It turns out we don't really need much at all.


I got up this morning at 5:30 to hit the farmer's market. That was awesome. The avocados were only a $1 a piece and looked gorgeous. They treat celery as an herb rather than a full on vegetable. Mangos were a dollar a piece as well. The people were extremely friendly. I am looking forward to going back again next week to get a full load of veggies and fruits. I have also found a local farmer who sells eggs pretty cheap and with healthy chickens. 


Steven was sick first this week but went to work anyway. Luna then got sick the next day but she is doing better today. Sol took his turn starting last night. We will see how he does today. I am knocking on wood in hopes of not catching what they all have had. Hopefully gorging on papaya will help with this:)


I am also getting used to the view. We can see the water from our window while still sitting on the couch. It amazes me all day long. It is also cool to sit outside and watch geckos jump down from the trees. You can hear them as they crash down. And then you see them run and jump across the ground.


The fish here tastes awesome. It is very fishy but delicious. We had a great lunch yesterday of rice, fungee (cornmeal thing) and salt fish with dumplings.


We are now looking for a car to buy. The people at the university network with each other a lot. So if we need anything steven just sends out an email and people will know someone who has what we need. It really seems like an ideal community here.


We still don't have a good cell phone connection here yet. And life has been really busy with trying to get organized and the start of the school year. I know some of you have called us and I just haven't been available to talk. I totally appreciate the calls and am very happy to have them. I am hoping in the next few weeks I will get to a place where phone conversation is more possible.


Much love,


Shana


Hope all is well for all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment