The rain finally stopped sometime saturday morning (yesterday). Which is awesome. Except that the humidity has hit with a vengeance. Well maybe it isn't really worse than it was. But the rain and wind cooled things off to the point where I wish my long pants weren't still in boxes.
We spent the last two mornings washing a months worth of dirty clothes at the laundromat. We used the dryers. They have a scent but so do all the people who entered the place. So I am hoping an hour or so in the sun will fix this problem. If not all my things will need to be rewashed by hand.
And even though it is sunny and gorgeous out. The beach is not ready for swimming yet. At least not around my part of the island. Septic tanks over flow during hurricanes and tropical storms. We went swimming shortly after the hurricane. Turns out that we could have gotten sick from swimming in other people's poo!!!
Me and the kids are hoping to hit the beach tomorrow. Some say three days is plenty of time to wash things out but others say it takes longer. We have decided on three days for the north side of the island and longer for our side.
We were suppose to move a new bed etc. to our new apartment. But the person helping us can't get his truck out of the mud from all the rain. Life on the island is always a twist and turn different from the life we had in Texas.
And can I just say how beautiful the people here are. I went to buy a coconut today but the stall was closed. I went back up later to check as I was really craving some fresh coconut water. The man was delivering the coconuts but the stall was closed. He sold me one anyway and said he just couldn't deny someone a coconut. Just an awesome person. His uncle usually runs the cart. I met him yesterday when I wouldn't pay $3 for a coconut cause I can usually get them for $2. So one of the guys working there offered me a dollar. Which I couldn't comfortably take as I am certain a dollar is worth more to him. So I wanted to go back today and give them the business and as I said I was just craving a coconut.
After I finished all the water I went to borrow a spoon from a restaurant near by. The manager was truly rude about it. And said I could only have a plastic spoon. Which would have broken instantly since it wasn't a really young coconut. Well the maintenance/security guy at the shopping center where we were doing laundry had a machete. So he cut my coconut open for me. A really nice guy named Frank. He also gave my kids a ride in his monster truck (a golf cart). Which was pure joy for them and Frank.
I am certain by the restaurant manager's accent that she is not from the island originally. Or if she is she has had some pretty rotten luck or something. As almost every person from the island or living on the island is usually just really generous, helpful and considerate.
Lastly, I will be volunteering at the slow foods feast tonight. Maybe i will update about that tomorrow.
much love, shana
No comments:
Post a Comment