Thursday, October 7, 2010

It's Raining again and again and again and again

We have a tropical storm hitting us. His name is Otto. We have a book about a dog named Otto. i really wish he was the one visiting us instead:) We put laundry out on friday to dry. Sad to say it is still out there. Starting Tuesday the water began to not trickle but rain into our tiny abode. It came through the bottom of the door, the windows of the door (that won't close all the way), above the door, in the corner near the window, through the roof and the dripping left from the hurricane down the wall began leaking more. We have been given extra towels from the university for clean up. As we had two semi clean towels for four people to shower with and I did not want to give those up for floor cleaning. On the bright side our clothes will not smell like fragrance after the many rain washes they are getting outside. But who knows when this will stop to let them dry. Our friend, Andrea from Austin had the best idea to fan dry them. But since there is so little space in here we can only dry a few things at a time and with the humidity they are not drying that fast. But we are getting by. The electricity is out in many places on the island. Many of the roads are flooded with mud, water or debris. So again we are very fortunate during this situation to have electricity, running water and extra towels. 

During this storm I saw one of the most beautiful sunsets so far. I was sitting on the couch playing with Sol. I looked up and out the window it looked like something was on fire. I got up and went to the window. Looked out and saw the sun setting through the clouds. It was incredible. Between the clouds the whole sky looked to be on fire. The sunsets here are amazing on clear nights and cloudy nights. But this was truly miraculous:)

We have even brighter news. New neighbors. Actually our old neighbor, J, his wife and daughter arrived yesterday. L and his 10 year old S have been getting along really well. And I actually really like his wife. The girls have been going back and forth from apt. to apt. and our sun has had a few temper tantrums about not having his sister around. I look forward to sharing more about this budding friendship. Not to mention the homeschool projects they get up to together.


2 comments: