My confession,
Since there aren't too many readers. Which I am not complaining about at all. I am choosing here to do confession rather than a priest. Partially cause I am not catholic and partially because it can still be kept as a sort of secret:)
First, I have been allowing my children way too much television. Yes, PBS is on a lot in our home. Of course I have been justifying this with a couple of things. We have no space for playing in the house, no yard and the outside area is the parking lot of a business. The humidity makes it hard to wander around the campus for long. And there are so many days you can go to the beach in a week. S keeps waking up L too early when he doesn't sleep well. And we won't be purchasing a TV for our new place. So we may not have one. The withdrawals from it will hurt A LOT!!! But will be worth it in the end. I just wish there was a support group for when we wean ourselves from this drug.
Second, I have been buying a Nestle brand product. Boycotting Nestle is something I started about 20 years ago. And I have done a great job with this boycott since I desire so few of their items. But I have been craving sparkling, bubbly water. And the only brand we have found here is Perrier. I haven't officially checked to be sure Nestle still owns the company. I mean coca cola sold Evian to someone else. So there is still hope. And I rationalize this as well. I have given up many products, comforts etc. moving to the island. That when my desire is so strong and the product is available I have to suck up the morals sometimes and buy it. It doesn't happen often. And I am completely aware of the choice I am making.
Third, I don't recycle or compost anymore. This is not so much a choice but more of circumstance. We are hoping to create a worm composting bin when we move in a week. Hooray for moving. More SPACE!!!! But there is no recycling on the island other than aluminum cans. Which we really don't have. Saying this I still stick all the recyclable containers on the counter. And they disappear. I comfort myself with knowing I didn't stick them in the trash. But someone did. He will remain nameless as I don't want to add to his guilt:) There are people working to make a change on the island. And I met a few at a fundraiser the other evening. There is also a desire among some of the homeschoolers to work on this as well. L is staring her next big project. And has decided to write a letter to the editor regarding the lack of recycling on the island. I am very excited to work with her on this. I will post it when she writes it.
I think that covers my biggest confessions right now. I am certain there will be more to come.
Shana
(Stella using Scott's account) When I went to confession as a child, the priest would usually give me three Hail Marys and an Our Father for my weekly sins: I disobeyed my mother, and I talked back to my father, and I lied.
ReplyDeleteMy kids have been watching PBS for YEARS (and on Saturday morning they even get Disney Shows), I sometimes buy Nestle products that even say Nestle on them, and I don't compost here even though almost everyone else does. If you need to confess *your* "sins" then I don't even want to think about what a sinner I've become!
Stella, I love you!
ReplyDelete