So, this is my week of single parenting. Which is already extremely overwhelming to me. I don’t think I have the patience to be a single parent. But I was going to make it work. There are friends in town visiting. Who are a great help. I actually have friends on the island willing to give me a hand and a break. Another bonus I am grateful to have. The house is clean and somewhat organized. A big stew is made that can feed us a few meals. We have boxes of mac n cheese (thanks to friends and family visits) and the freezer is stocked with Ben and Jerry’s so that I can take care of myself as well.
Yes, I was prepared for this week when it came. Until, today, when I turned on the tap to wash my hands and no water appeared. Which wouldn’t be a problem if my landlord would answer his phone or fill the cisterns. It wouldn’t be a problem, being out of water, if when I spoke to him about it two days ago he had, had a plan. But he didn’t other than to hope for rain. Now he is missing in action and I have no water and two kids, a cat and a dog to take care of.
It isn’t the worst-case scenario as I can go the university and borrow water by filling up empty containers. But seriously I never realized how much fun flushing a toilet could be and now I can’t do that. I had no idea how much I would want to do dishes or cook dinner when I can’t cook it. And the counters are filthy from breakfast but lo and behold I can’t clean them.
I think the happiest critter about this is the mouse that keeps eating the cheese and peanut butter off the mousetrap without getting caught. Cause now she has lots more to choose from with all the dirty dishes and counter tops. But there is the hope that without water in the house she will be off in search of a new home more posh than ours. One can only hope, right?
And yet again I am realizing that immediate gratification does have a place in my life especially when it comes to running water:)
I'm pleased to discover that I'm not the only one who thinks it's fun to flush the toilet.
ReplyDelete