Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Meeting the Locals

As a transplant to the island the adjustment can be difficult. But that is not what I want to focus on here. I want to focus on how to meet people. Not just any people but people from the West Indies. This has been an area that has been a bit more complicated for me. I meet people easily as I get involved and I talk a lot. In fact I will talk to just about anyone who is interested in conversation. This is one of the more healthy attributes I picked up from my parents.

But what I have not been able to do is make friends with locals. This island is about 80% West Indian, or in other terms, people of color, or in other terms, people of African descent. The Whites who have been here for many, many generations seem to be referred to as Frenchies. But I haven’t figured out why yet. And the rest of the Whites live here part time or are transplanted like me from other places.

I know that part of the reason I have not become good friends with any locals is I don’t work here. And at my age many friends are found in the work place. Another reason is I haven’t found any locals who homeschool. I think they just can’t afford to do this. And many work more than one job due to the low pay and poverty found on this island.

The last reason is comfort and culture. Culturally I am more comfortable with those like me. This usually ends up being other white folks. But even there it has been difficult connecting with others. Not as difficult but still work. This reason is the hardest for me to admit. I work really hard not to be racist and to recognize my privilege in life for being born white in the USA. And of course this is something I am working on. I am working to invite those I have met and really like to do things no matter where they are from or what color they are. I am working on getting more involved with the community to meet people. This one is a bit more difficult due to time constraints and a small child who just gets into everything. And has to have constant guidance.

As I get more and more settled here I am sure I will meet more people and make more friends. Including those who are from the area. But as with anything it just takes time. Which from how happy Steven is in his job is what I should have plenty of.

No comments:

Post a Comment