Saturday, November 13, 2010

South Pacific off, off, off, off Broadway…

It was so far off it was across an ocean in St. Thomas. The venue is absolutely gorgeous. It is the UVI Reichold Center for the Arts. http://www.reichholdcenter.com/

The cast of the performance was predominantly UVI faculty and students. They were awesome. You could tell how much of their heart and soul went into their performance. Truly the cast was great, the singing was phenomenal and the acting was right up there, too!

But like most things in the USVI the performance had some of its own character and eccentricities. One of the great things about living here is the diversity in the population. The cast of South Pacific was probably the most diverse cast of performers in the history of the performance. I am not referring to just color and culture. There was also diversity amongst the age of the cast and size etc. It truly was a diverse group of people. But they brought it all together so well.

The sound system is incredible there. If you sit in the more expensive sits in the covered part of the outside amphitheatre. Then I am sure the sound is awesome. We however had a two and seven year old with us. Therefore we chose the cheaper seats that were not covered. So the sound coming from the stage was a bit muffled at times. But the frogs were more than audible as they sang along with the musicalJ The cats didn’t seem to enjoy the show as much as they kept running out of the area back into the bush up top.

It was a very chilly evening for the tropics. As it rained right before the performance began. So I was glad to have worn jeans and brought a sweater along. I also remembered to bring a couple of towels to dry our seats. But I didn’t bring an umbrella so when it started sprinkling during the show, I was very grateful it stopped.

My kids loved going as well. They had the privilege of getting to eat sun chips with a flavor to them. This is something that is typically forbidden in our household. And since it was so late at night I have still not seen the end of the musical. I do look forward to renting the dvd one day soon. As soon as Netflix begins letting me stream movies to the USVI!

No comments:

Post a Comment